Marine Insurance Underwriting
& Claims Management
Understanding the Legal and practical Aspects of Marine Insurance Underwriting
& Claims Management
Book your training today to Reserve the date
There is an urgent need for marine underwriting teams and claims teams to communicate with each other. If not for a full understanding of the various accounts or portfolios, it is important for better management of claim payouts.
The workshop is designed for those dealing with insurance and claims matters in ship owning and management companies. It aims to give an understanding of the legal and practical aspects of marine insurance and claims management.
The important terms used in marine insurance covers and the requirements for placing the risks will be analyzed. Participants will be informed of the latest developments concerning the war risks cover and anti-piracy measures and will be able to recognize the key issues of the new cybersecurity threats and discuss the changes that the GDP regulation will bring about.
Through interactive sessions they will be guided on how to respond in emergency situations, prevent or mitigate claims through risk analysis and examine how to carry out effective claims management and incident investigation. They will also learn to recognize the importance of evidence collection, claims enforcement and settlement procedures.
- To acquire a better understanding of claims handling and how the marine insurance market operates
- To be able to respond effectively in emergency cases and prevent or mitigate claims through risk analysis and claims management
- To be informed about the latest developments and best practices for prevention in relation to piracy, cyber threats, and compliance with the new GDP regulation
- The unique legal and practical aspects of marine insurance.
- Cargo types and insurance issues for each.
- Marine claims handling, recent law cases and legal aspects of total loss claims.
The course focuses on:
- Background to marine insurance
- Legal and practical aspects of the marine insurance covers including Hull and Machinery, P&I, FDD, war risks and charterers liabilities
- GDPR – key changes in processing personal data
- Navigation limits
- Cybersecurity risks
- Marine claims: collision, GA, salvage, wreck removal, marine pollution, cargo claims, and oil pollution
- Places of refuge and maritime refugees
- Enforcement of claims
- Charter party disputes including bunker disputes
- Claims from the crew, passengers, shore workers, and stowaways
- Insurance Technician / Supervisor / Manager
- Claims Executives / Advisors / Officers
- Claims Assistants / Handlers / Negotiators / General Manager
- Operations Manager
- Those who are new to marine insurance who wish to gain an overall knowledge of the various marine insurance classes.
- Those who may have extensive knowledge in one or two areas of marine insurance and who wish to widen their knowledge to include other marine risk classes.
- Those involved with reinsurance who need to understand the unique aspects of marine insurance.
- Those involved in shipping or other maritime industry practices, for whom marine insurance is an important consideration for their business operations.
- Those involved in the legal or financial aspects of shipping need to deepen their knowledge of the scope and background of today’s marine insurance.
Whilst BMK Training has core courses which we offer on an international basis to both companies and individuals, we also recognise that from time to time, your company may have specific training requirements that cannot be satisfied in a public training environment.
We can bring our Training/workshops directly to your workplace or we will customize training to meet your specific needs ensuring effectiveness in achieving real performance improvement.
If you have 8 or more delegates then, in house training can be of a greater advantage for your organization.
Advantages of in-house training include:
- Cost savings up to 50% of the training expenses with more effective group training.
- Training is confidential, allowing teams to discuss and work on real issues as trainers will usually sign confidentiality agreements.
- In-house training encourages team building and better understanding of one another
- Training is fully-customized for any team, department, or organization